Friday, November 28, 2014

3rd Grade Piano Theory Exam!? 2nd Grade Piano ?!

Ollaaa my friends! I'm back again after 7 months of silents! It's the end of November and it's school holiday right now. So I'm on break (since I'm a teacher.. of course!). It's been a week since our school holiday had started, so here I am in my house with my two little angels.

My last post was about me joining the KKMS Concert. So back to my piano lesson. At last after lots of thinking, I'd decided to take the Piano Theory Exam for 3rd Grade. Imagine me, 30 years old mathematics teacher, wants to take Piano Theory Exam? 

Well, the good news is that I PASS the exam with 89 marks (if only I get 90 marks, it'll be DISTINCTION.. grrrrrr). I took the exam at SJK (C) Chung Hua No.4 at Jalan Nenas, Kuching. It's just the opposite with KKMS. It's kinda funny coz I'm sitting with few elementary kids and most of them finish it before I did. The exam was kinda hard, but I'm glad that I took it. At least, I know now how the exam looks like hehe... 

Now, I'm preparing my for Piano Exam for Grade 2. You might wonder why did I took the 3rd Grade for Theory, right? Since I'm an adult now, I can learn a lot faster in theory compared to children, but when it comes to playing the piano.. I'm SLOWWWW... so Grade 2 it is.. And I tell you, it's HARD! I have to play 3 songs, the exam is in June till August. But now December is around the corner and I'm still stuck with one song!

Ms. Kho (my piano teacher) suggest me to play IMPERTINENCE by Handel. Overall I can finally play all the notes but with lots of mistakes here and there.

IMPERTINENCE by Handel
ABRSM 2nd GRADE PIANO 2015-2016, A1
~30 marks~


Just hope I can make it for next year. Lots of thing going on next year, coz I'm going to teach Year 6 pupils and I have to prepare them for Mathematics, UPSR 2015. I think I'm up to the challenge (just be brave, Lizz.. Fighting!)

For the 2nd and 3rd songs, I haven't decided yet, but I might go with...

LULLABY by Neugasimov
ABRSM 2nd GRADE PIANO 2015-2016, B2
~30 marks~


and

MARCH OF THE GEESE by Kineda
ABRSM 2nd GRADE PIANO 2015-2016, C3
~30 marks~


And I have to get ready for other thing like:


1. Scales for G, D, A, F major, and E, D, G minor (hands together and separately in 2 octaves)
2. Contrary-motion Scales for C and E major (for 2 octaves)
3. Chromatic Scale beginning on D (1 octave with hand separately)
4. Arpeggios in G, D, A majors, and D, G minors (hands separately in 2 octaves)
5. Broken Chords in F major and E minor (hand separately in 2 octaves)
~all for 21 marks~

Sight-reading (play pieces of music on the spot)
~21 marks~

Aural test
~18 marks~

or you can also search the piano requirements and information from http://us.abrsm.org/en/our-exams/piano/piano-grade-2/

Total marks are 150. If I want to PASS, I have to get at least 100 marks. 120 to pass with Merit and 130 marks to pass with Distinction.

So, do you think I will pass this exam?
Pray that I will.... Amin



No comments: